15 November 2008

What I've Been Listening To (11/15/08)

Last weeks picks:
Point of Departure by Andrew Bird was really good, but not as good as Black Fire truthfully. 4 stars.
The Shape of Jazz to Come by Ornette Coleman was a complete shocker--it wasn't much like what I thought it would be. Less chaotic. I loved it regardless. 4.5 stars.

This week:
I downloaded a whole bunch of albums. I guess it's a stay at home and listen to music kind of week.
Getz/Gilberto by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto was an album I downloaded a few hours after I made that last post about what I had been listening to. It's a nice album, though I must say it sounds a little too novelty for my tastes. 3.5 stars.
Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus is something I downloaded the day after the last music post. It's really wild. I sometimes forget how much I like Mingus--which is a lot, in case you were wondering. 4.5 stars. Subject to change.
Christmas on Mars Soundtrack by The Flaming Lips is a CD I bought with the accompanying movie. It's ambient-y, which isn't really my cup of tea; however, those touches of outstanding Flaming Lips glory are what saves it from a lower rating. 3.5 stars.
Here Are the Chesterfield Kings by the Chesterfield Kings. One of my favorite garage punk acts ever is the Mean Red Spiders, who only ever released one EP, which could very well be my favorite EP of all time. So, imagine my thrill when I found out that several of the Spiders were also in this band! It doesn't sound really anything like the Mean Red Spiders, but I like it anyway. Rating pending.
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus. I downloaded this one on the 14th after having enjoyed "Let My Children..." so much. I have only listened to it three times, so I haven't got a real opinion yet. On the same token, rateyourmusic.com (my favorite website) has rated this album higher than any other jazz album ever, so expectations are high.
The Low-End Theory
by A Tribe Called Quest. Downloaded it just now, after having realized how much I like the sound. Jazz-Rap, as the genre is appropriately called, is compltely intriguing, and I look forward to delving deeper into it. (I feel a new obsession coming on.)

No comments: